There are multiple origins and meanings for the name:
1. Latin name, meaning - "boat, ship, vessel; keel, bottom of the ship" or derived from the Latin words carus/cara - "dear, beloved; costly, precious, valued"
2. Comes from the ancient Greek word (κόρη) [kori] - "daughter, girl, damsel, virgin; maiden"
3. Russian (East Slavic) first name (Карина), comes from the Russian word карий [kary] - "brown-eyed", see the name Karina
4. Armenian name (Կարինա) meaning - "from Karin (region of the Great Armenia, near the modern Erzurum)"
5. Soviet name, meaning - "born on Kara Sea". Named in honor of the polar explorer heroes.
6. Derived from Turkish (Turkic) name-giving Kara - "black, dark; land"
7. Derived from the Arabic (قرينة) [Qarinah] “spouse, wife; indication" or from (كرينة) [Karinah] - "singer, who plays the lute (kira)"
8. From Bulgarian (carina) [Tsarina] - "queen"
9. Italian, meaning - "pretty"
10. Old Slavic - "mourner; attendant death; goddess of funerals"