There are multiple origins and translations for the name Elwina:
1. Traditionally meaning of the name - feminine form of the name Elwin - "elf`s girlfriend; noble girlfriend".
2. Comes from the Latin word (Albens) means - "white, light, bleached, pale, bright, pallid, clear".
3. Derived from the Proto-Germanic word (elf) translation - "eleven". In German-Celtic mythology "eleven" was the respected numeric.
4. Derived from the Turkic name-giving component El - "people, native land".
5. Comes from the Hebrew name-giving El interpretation - "God".