There are multiple origins and translations for the name Amelia:
1. Derived from the ancient Greek word ἀμαλή [amali] interpretation - "soft, weak, helpless", see the name Amalia.
Medical term, which was derived from the Greek words ἀ - "lack of" + μέλος - "member, limb". Amelia - birth defect of lacking one or more limbs.
2. Derived from Arabic (أمل) [amal] clarification - "hope".
3. Comes from the Latin word (a melior) - "a better" or from Latin (a melleus) - "of the honey".
4. Germanic name, comes from word amal - "work; laborious", or from male name Amalrich in the sense of - "rich and brave she-worker".
5. German form of the Latin name Emily and translates as- "emulous, trying not to give in, stubborn, supporter, followers".