There are multiple origins and meanings for the name Amelia:
1. Derived from the ancient Greek word ἀμαλή [amali] etymology "soft, weak, helpless", see the name Amalia
2. Comes from the Latin word (a melior) meaning - "a better" or from Latin (a melleus) meaning - "of the honey"
3. Medical term, derived from the Greek words ἀ meaning - "lack of" + μέλος "member, limb". Amelia - birth defect of lacking one or more limbs.
4. Germanic name, comes from word amal meaning - "work; laborious", or from male name Amalrich meaning - "rich and brave she-worker"
5. German form of the personal name Emily - "emulous, trying not to give in, stubborn, supporter, followers"
6. Derived from Arabic (أمل) [amal] mens - "hope".