There are multiple origins and translations for the name Jura:
1. French, Portuguese [zhura] etc name, comes from Latin word juro which actually means - "oath; swear".
2. Shortened form of the name Juratus - "call to witness".
3. Uzbek (Jo`ra) name semantics - "friend".
4. Slavic (Serbian Ђура, Russian Юра [Yura]) name comes from the name George, see the name Yura/Yuri.
5. Latinized juria form of a Celtic word jor denotation - "forest"
6. German name-forming in a figurative sense - "law, jurisprudence"
7. Latvian name derived from the word jūra denotation - "sea"
The Jura Mountains are a sub-alpine mountain range located north of the western Alps, separating the Rhine and Rhone rivers and forming part of the watershed of each. The range is predominantly located in France and Switzerland, extending into Germany. The Jurassic is named after the Jura Mountains within the European Alps, where limestone strata from the period was first identified.
May also refer to Jura (feminine name ).