There are multiple origins and meanings for the name Mar:
1. Spanish name, meaning - "sea, ocean; the blue; the deep"
2. Old Norse name-giving mǣ-r meaning - "little girl, daughter"
3. Hebrew name (מַר) [mar] - "bitter, embittered", original form of the personal name Mary - "Theotokos; our lady (Mother of God)"
4. Shortened form of the Greek name Margaret - "pearl"
5. Derived from the Latin word mare, maris meaning - "sea, ocean"
6. Diminutive of name starting with Mar
7. Sanskrit (मार) meaning - "passion of love; killing; death"
May also refer to Mar (male name )