There are multiple origins and meanings for the name:
1. Shortened form of the given name Rolanda - "famous land"
2. Swedish name, meaning - "land"
3. Norwegian: habitational name from any of several farmsteads in southwestern Norway, so named from the plural of land.
4. Czech shortened form of the personal name Mikulanda, derivative of Mikuláš, or Czech form of the Greek name Nikolaos (see Nicholas).
5. Polish: nickname for a persistent and irritating person, from a derivative of the dialect verb landzic ‘to ask insistently’, ‘badger someone’.
6. Jewish (eastern Ashkenazic): variant of Landau.
7. Spanish and Basque: topographic name from the Basque landa "meadow" or from the word landatar meaning - "rural". There is a place of this name in Álava province, Basque Country, and the surname may in fact be a habitational name from this place.