There are multiple origins and translations for the hugely popular name Alan:
1. Derivative form of the Greek name ALexANder and interpretation is - "protector of the mankind".
2. Turkic (Turkish, Kazakh Алаң etc) name-forming which actually means - "area, open place, open field, space, sphere, scope, region".
3. Derived from the ancient Greek word (ἀλαίνω) [alaíno] - "wander, to roam" in a figurative sense - "wandering; nomad".
4. Derived from Celtic alun translation - "harmony, agreement".
5. Gothic (East Germanic language spoken by the Goths) name and translates as - "aged, old, elder, experienced".
6. Slavic name (Russian Алан) and definition is - "ancient Slav man".
7. Comes from the name of Caucasian tribe lived in Europe (nowadays - Ossetians).