There are multiple origins and meanings for the hugely popular name Alan:
1. Derivative form of the Greek name ALexANder meaning - "protector of the mankind"
2. Derived from the ancient Greek word (ἀλαίνω) [alaíno] - "wander, to roam" means - "wandering; nomad"
3. Gothic (East Germanic language spoken by the Goths) name and translates as - "aged, old, elder, experienced"
4. Slavic name (Russian Алан) etymology (definition) - "old Slav"
5. From the name of Caucasian tribe lived in Europe (nowadays - Ossetians)
6. Gaelic name, sense - "small rock"
7. Turkic (Kazakh Алаң) meaning - "area, field, space, sphere, scope, region".